Welcome to the CPES Jobs and Internship posting page! Please feel free to view jobs posted by our members for our students.
Are you a member with a job/internship opportunity for our students? Click here
Research Engineer Power Electronics - Inverter Concepts
Organization: Robert Bosch GmbH | Type: Full time | Location: Robert-Bosch-Campus 1, 71272 Renningen, Germany | Recruiter/Contact: Julian Veitengruber | Deadline: 2023-03-31
- In our team, you will actively shape the research activities for the development of new concepts in an interdisciplinary team. Here, you will support the existing team of experts with your knowledge and ideas.
- Furthermore, you will develop innovative approaches for future traction inverters with a strong focus on function, design and integration. You evolve the research activities from the first sketch to the final application. Your analytical and structured approach enables you to identify and evaluate innovative concepts.
- Thanks to your know-how, you drive your tasks forward in a targeted manner from the first idea to the first tests in the laboratory.
- The possible range of tasks comprises the control and measurement of the power semiconductors as well as the design of the commutation cell, but also fundamental topology analyses and the investigation of new power semiconductor generations.
- Last but not least, you contribute to a distributed network of researchers and developers from various disciplines.
- Education: PhD in the field of Electrical Engineering with focus on power-electronics (PE) design or equivalent working experience in science or a research
- Personality: a flexible and goal-oriented team player with a high level of comprehension of complex issues
- Working Practice: systematic, self-organized, excellent communication and presentation skills as well as analytical thinking
- Experience and Knowledge: broad knowledge base in PE with focus on HV traction inverters for E-Mobility; experience in holistic design and sizing of commutation cell elements such as chip, DC link capacitor, cooler and low inductive busbar integration; fundamental knowledge of SiC chip design, module design, semiconductor switching as well as EMC design aspects; good overview of gate drivers and auxiliary power supply modules; preferably first insights into the industrialization of PE; experience in at least one of the following areas is an advantage: circuit simulation, PCB design or CAD
How to Apply:
Please apply via the official Bosch career website (link: https://smrtr.io/b9Tch). You will find contact persons for questions regarding the content in advance there as well. Do not hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to hearing from you.
PhD - Compact DCDC Converter for High-Voltage Automotive Applications
Organization: Robert Bosch GmbH | Type: Industrial PhD position - ÂµPower DCDC-Converter | Location: Robert-Bosch-Campus 1, 71272 Renningen, Germany | Recruiter/Contact: Julian Veitengruber | Deadline: 2023-03-31
Highly automated applications such as autonomous driving place the highest demands on the availability, reliability and operational lifetime of the power supply. The following PhD aims to significantly optimize these isolated DCDC converters in terms of power density and size without making concessions in terms of efficiency, costs, reliability and functional safety. New revolutionary and innovative circuit and integration approaches are required here, which will be the focus of the work.
- Generation of ideas and select suitable isolated DCDC converter concepts for highest power densities
- Evaluation of converter concepts regarding the relevant qualitative and quantifiable criteria (costs, installation space, weight, scalability, isolation requirements and functional safety)
- Analysis and derivation of relevant requirements for Hi-Rel applications (High Reliability) will be also one of your tasks
- Modelling and optimization of suitable converter concepts and the isolation stage in MATLAB Simulink / PLECS as well as FEM-based tools
- Development of integration concepts for relevant application areas/products regarding packaging, insulation barriers, heat dissipation
- Design, build-up and measurement of the most promising converter concept as a functional prototypes
- Regular presentations, discussions and documentations of the results as well as the publication of the research results at international conferences
Education: excellent Master degree in electrical engineering with a focus on power electronics
Personality and Working Practice: creative, convincing, structured as well as conscientious team player
Experience and Knowledge: knowledge in MATLAB / Simulink / PLECS as well as in the design and commissioning of electronic circuits, knowledge in 3D simulation tools (CST/Ansys) for thermal and magnetic simulations is an advantage, good understanding of the physics of DCDC converters, semiconductor and inductive components
Enthusiasm: passionate about research
How to Apply:
The work takes place in the corporate research and development center of Bosch. We ensure that your full working time can be used for the PhD.
Please apply via the official Bosch Career website (link: https://smrtr.io/bfcf3). Do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to the exchange.
Senior Applications Engineer
Organization: Transphorm, Inc. | Type: Full-time | Location: Goleta, California or San Jose, Califronia | Recruiter/Contact: Theresa Ho | Deadline: 2023-03-31
Transphorm is a market and technology leader in the development of gallium nitride (GaN) products for high-voltage power conversion applications. The Company delivers the highest performance, highest reliability GaN devices while providing best-in-class application design support to a growing customer base.
Responsible for the development and design of high power (1KW-5+KW) converters using our proprietary semiconductor (GaN).Job Responsibilities:
-Leads design and analysis of high power AC-DC, DC-DC and DC-AC converters.
-Proves design concepts through a combination of simulation and physical implementation and bench testing.
-Able to design using various topologies such as Phase Shifted Full Bridge, Full Bridge LLC and Totem Pole/Bridgeless PFC converters, etc.
-Develops engineering models using EDA tools such as SPICE, MATHACD, MATLAB and SIMULINK.
-Skilled in using test equipment to capture performance data of high-power converters.
BSEE with 3-5 yearsâ experience, (MSEE preferred) with specialization in Power Electronics.
-Experienced in high power thermal calculations and simulation.
-Experience and strong design knowledge of high frequency, high power magnetics such as Transformers and Inductors.
-Solid understanding of power electronics device physics, electrical parameters and device physical tradeoffs.
-Strong design knowledge of Analog Circuit design, Digital and Analog control design and use of Laplace transforms for Control loop simulation. Design for compliance to UL, IEC other EMC directives.
-Experienced in IC digital firmware development, i.e., dsPIC (MPLAB), Code Composer (C2000). Able to diligently and very safely work on scientific experiments in power conversion laboratory for power electronics product development.
-Able to provide technical mentoring to Lab Technicians and less experienced people. Able to write application notes and present at industry conferences.
How to Apply:
Please apply online to the Transphorm career site at: https://www.transphormusa.com/en/careers/?p=job%2Fof5Uifwg
Electrical Engineer - Power Supply Designer
Organization: TDK-Lambda Corporation | Type: Full-time | Location: Plano, TX | Recruiter/Contact: Lucy Khuu | Deadline: 2023-03-31
Performs development, testing, and troubleshooting of high-density power supplies with digital control; drives new development programs from concept to production and supports products after release.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develop state-of-the-art high power density DC-DC and AC-DC power modules.
• Maintain multiple projects simultaneously.
• Design for excellent manufacturability.
• Perform analysis, simulation and testing to verify designs.
• Create and maintain design documentation.
• Meet project schedules, cost constraints and quality/reliability standards.
• Use multi-tasking skills to deliver consistent, accurate results on time.
• Provide engineering support for production products.
• Analyze customer issues, improve test yield, and evaluate component changes.
• Test and troubleshoot, provide customer support of product.
• Familiar with lab equipment operation, layout and testing, and power supply design.
• Skilled in power electronics design and testing, including magnetic devices and control loop analysis.
• Understand operation and tradeoffs between various power train topologies and power semiconductor technologies.
• Experience with digital control and communication, including software and firmware development. Hands on experience with TI C2000 or UCD chip and/or Microchip dsPIC devices is a plus.
• Familiar with safety agency standards and approval processes.
• High degree of initiative, with the ability to deliver results independently.
• Strong communication and negotiation skills required.
Education and/or Experience
BSEE or advanced degree with 5 years industry experience.
How to Apply:
Please apply at the company website.
Organization: AT&S - Austria Technologie & Systemtechnik Aktiengesellschaft | Type: Full time | Location: Austria | Recruiter/Contact: Wolfram Zotter | Deadline: 2023-03-31
AT&S is a leading manufacturer of high-end printed circuit boards and IC substrates that industrialises leading-edge technologies in core business segments of Mobile Devices & Substrates, Automotive, Industrial and Medical. The company currently employs over 12,500 people globally across our production facilities in Austria (Leoben, Fehring) and plants in India (Nanjangud), China (Shanghai, Chongqing) and Korea (Ansan near Seoul). Continual international expansion has also resulted in the development of a new high-end production facility for IC Substrates that is currently being built in Kulim, Malaysia. For further information, please visit www.ats.net
In terms of succession planning for our Application Engineering team in Leoben, Austria we are seeking to fill the following opening with an experienced candidate
- Main contact for all technical interactions in and around dedicated customer projects (internal and external) with a clear competence in specific application needs
- Highly early recognize technical customer demands and manage those with AT&S internal counterparts (e.g.: PE, R&D, SQM…)
- Technical presentation and representation of AT&S interests internally as well as externally
- Support in developement of new technologies as well as technical roadmaps
- Perform technical feasibility checks and pre-calculations for all AT&S factories as well as recognition of performance and yield improvements
- At least 3 years working experience within the electronics supply chain are beneficial – either prior to PCB (e.g.: Electronics design, Reliabilty, etc.) or after PCB (e.g.: PCBA, DFM, Testing, Reliability, etc.)
- Technical education background, with marketing/sales understanding is a plus
- Excellent presentation skill, customer oriented and team player
- English in work proficient level
- Flexibility of business travel
How to Apply:
Reach out to the hiring manager directly at email@example.com
Power Electronics Systems Researcher
Organization: Toyota Motor Corporation | Type: Post-doc, On-site and remote hybrid work style | Pay Range: Depending on the experience. | Location: 1555 Woodridge Ave, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA | Recruiter/Contact: Hiroshi Ukegawa | Deadline: 2023-03-31
We, Toyota Research Institute of North America (TRINA), is exploring next-generation core technologies via fundamental research discoveries that enable breakthrough applications for a sustainable mobility society.
Website link: https://amrd.toyota.com/division/trina/
We are looking for a power electronics researcher (Pos-doc) to work together!
1. Plans and executes research activities in power electronics design and tool development including coordination of the activities of internal and external research partners.
2. Be knowledgeable in the fundamental concepts and principles of power electronics including power electronics design, module packaging, thermal management, and validation testing.
3. Be familiar with the state of the art in power electronics technology, packaging of wide bandgap devices, and high frequency passive components.
4. Apply sound experimental protocols to test and evaluate performance of power electronics components.
5. Effectively communicate results by writing technical reports, invention disclosures and technical papers and making presentations.
6. Excellent teamwork along with written and verbal communication skills. Frequently communicate with a diverse group of scientists and management team.
7. Assist in performing inverter tests using HIL platform to develop dataset for device prognostics.
8. Assist in researching power converter for advanced energy harvesting technology.
1. Proficiency in circuit and multi-physics FEA simulation software (Matlab/Simulink, Saber, Spice, Altium, Q3D, ANSYS) to assist the design of power electronics components.
2. Proficiency in testing equipment (oscilloscope, curve tracer, impedance analyzer, network analyzer, spectrum analyzer)- etc.
3. Hardware design and system integration experience with controllers, power electronics, motors and control.
Preferred education and experiences:
1. Ph.D in Electrical Engineering with focus on power electronics circuit design and control
2. Previous industrial experience via co-op/internship preferred
3. Demonstrated ability to publish in journals and present in conferences
How to Apply:
If you are interested. please feel free to email your resume to us.
Electronic Systems Summer 2023 Intern
Organization: Cummins, Inc. | Type: Internship | Pay Range: N/A | Location: Columbus, IN | Recruiter/Contact: Denise Athaide | Deadline: 2023-03-31
This applied technology position creates electronic hardware that is integral to Cummins’ products. People in these positions will typically develop advanced power electronics and motor technologies for the electrification of power generation, industrial, and vehicle propulsion systems within the Corporate Research & Technology organization.
• Develop and optimize the motor electromagnetics design using Motor-CAD and/or ANSYS Maxwell
• Compare different motor topologies and technologies according to the application needs
• Build simulation models and refine motor control strategies
• Support motor-in-the-loop software developments and system simulations
• Develop and simulate the electromagnetic performance for electric motors and power electronics
• Support the electromagnetic analysis, issue debugs, and improve the existing electromagnetic designs if needed
• Must be a full-time enrolled student pursuing a graduate degree in an electrical or electronics engineering program, with a focus on electric motor designs and modeling, electromagnetics, electric motor controls, and power electronics
• Must be able to complete a minimum of a 10-week and up to a maximum of a 12-week commitment
• Must be able to complete 40 hours per week
• To be successful in this role the candidate will need the following skills:
o Electromagnetic Analysis and Design
o Design and Application of Mechatronics Systems
o Machine Integration and Optimization
o Problem Solving
o Effective Communication
o Willingness to learn from others on the job
• PhD candidate preferred
• Experience in developing and optimizing motor controls and power electronics for electric machines is preferred
How to Apply:
Apply through the job application link.
Intern - Applications Engineer
Organization: Infineon + International Rectifier | Type: Summer Internship - 2023 | Pay Range: Minimum of $32.50 per hour Maximum of $40.50 per hour | Location: El Segundo, CA | Recruiter/Contact: Deepak Veereddy | Deadline: 2023-04-14
In your new role, you will:
• Conduct performance benchmarking tests on the existing application platforms and generate reports with documenting all the relevant results
• Contribute to prove new system concepts through hardware testing
• Study the loss breakdown analysis of power electronic converters through experiments and/or simulations
You are best equipped for this task if you have:
• Been pursuing a masters or PhD degree in electrical engineering with emphasis in power electronics
• Taken course work and/or completed projects relevant to power electronics
• Experience with designing and testing simple AC-DC and DC-AC converter
How to Apply:
Please contact Frances Montes at Frances.Montes-EE@infineon.com for further details.
Firmware and Hardware Engineer
Organization: Infineon + International Rectifier | Type: Full time | Pay Range: Minimum of $ 121,700 salary per year and maximum of $ 162,000 salary per year. All employees will be eligible to participate in an incen | Location: El Segundo, CA | Recruiter/Contact: Deepak Veereddy | Deadline: 2023-04-26
Develop and debug firmware/software solutions for power converter designs
Run system simulations to deliver the optimal digital controller solution
Design the hardware of the application boards targeting power supply and residential solar & storage segments
Conduct hardware and software validation tests and document all the relevant results
Contribute to application board roadmap definition by collaborating with other system application Engineers
Support and train our technical and sales teams to transfer digital control solutions to customer
Develop application literature such as application notes, technical articles and promotion material
Prepare training material, webinars for global AE and sales team
Contribute to IP development
A bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science/IT. An advance degree is preferred
7+ years of software/firmware development experience for digital signal processors and/or microcontrollers
Prior experience with ARM Cortex based microcontrollers using C programming language
Good understanding of power electronics, SMPS and inverter topologies such as PFC, LLC, DAB, string, cyclo inverters etc. Power converter design experience is desired
Experience with system simulations using tools such as Simetrix, SPICE and PLECS among others
Experience with PCB tools such as Altium, Cadence etc
Working knowledge of MOSFETs, Wide Bandgap Devices, gate driver ICs, digital isolators, optocouplers and other IC components
Technical customer support experience is desired
Good laboratory, problem solving, multi-tasking and effective presentation skills
Willingness to learn on the job
How to Apply:
Submit your application in the following link:
or send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Power Electronics Graduate Engineering Intern
Organization: Morningstar Corporation | Type: Full-time, paid graduate internship | Pay Range: TBD | Location: Jessup, MD | Recruiter/Contact: Ivan Jadric | Deadline: 2023-05-01
Morningstar Corporation (www.morningstarcorp.com) is looking for a Power Electronics Graduate Intern for Summer 2023. This paid internship will be full-time and located in Jessup, MD. Morningstar operates on a hybrid work schedule and this position will require a minimum of three days per week in the office.
The Power Electronics Graduate Engineering Intern will support our experienced engineering team in developing new products and responding to sustaining engineering issues, with a focus on power electronics aspects of the design.
Duties may include simulations, schematic design and PCB layout, test and troubleshooting, lab assistance, and other engineering activities. This position affords the opportunity to interact and engage with a seasoned engineering team, experience a commercial development lab environment, and gain fundamental skills needed in new product development in the off-grid solar power conversion industry.
Morningstar Corporation builds reliable, world-class power conversion equipment for off-grid solar applications the world over. We are looking for engaged individuals who value ownership of work, welcome different perspectives and take pride in quality design. Morningstar is an engineering-centric company with a culture that promotes respect, curiosity, elegant design, and work-life balance.
Currently pursuing a graduate (MS or PhD) degree in Electrical Engineering with focus on Power Electronics
Familiarity with dc/dc converter design for applications ranging from 100W to 5 kW
Familiarity with power electronics circuit simulations in steady state and transient conditions (experience with MATLAB preferred)
Familiarity with common lab equipment (e.g. oscilloscopes, current and voltage meters, signal and current probes, programmable power supplies and loads, etc) and associated test procedures
Experience with circuit design tools (OrCAD/Allegro, Altium, KiCAD)
Strong written and verbal communications skills
Proficiency with common office business tools and Google tools platform
Anticipated Projects for Summer 2023:
Review of Morningstar dc/dc converter topologies and development/expansion of simulation models library
Development and testing of new design prototypes
Other activities as required to support the engineering team
How to Apply:
To apply: please send your resume to email@example.com.